Sunday, April 11, 2010

So You Want To Try A Recumbent




I am now a full blown recumbent bicycle junkie and to help those of you that are considering this wonderful mode of transportation I have created this blog to outline my journey. I will share with you all aspects of the transition and will provide advice with regard to my personal experience.

First about me: I am 52 years old and have been riding traditional bicycles (diamond frame) since I was a teenager. My first nice bike was a steel Fiorelli Tour De France Super with Campagnola Nuevo Record components. Since then I have had numerous bikes from Cannondale, Litespeed, Trek, Fuji and more. Most of my adult riding has been on bikes with road racing geometry. I typically ride 100 miles or more a week with an occasional century. I have developed an interest in bicycle touring but quite frankly have grown tired of my sore neck, wrists and butt from long rides.

A few months ago I was perusing the ads in the back of Bicyling Magazine and came across an ad for Catrikes. I was intrigued and started to research the world of recumbent trikes. I immediately determined that because of their limited market, recumbents cost more than traditional bikes with similar components. I began looking for dealers in my area and also determined that there just aren't that many dealers for recumbents anywhere. I am fortunate enough that there are two not too far from the Charlotte, NC area where I live. By not too far I mean one is an hour away and then other two and a half hours away. Undeterred I visited both dealers and rode some recumbent trikes and bikes. I ultimately decided that I wanted a bike since they sit a little higher which means slightly better for cars to see (only my opinion). I also decided that I wanted a touring model. This narrowed the product market down. I am 6'2" and weight 220 lbs. So with 50 lbs of gear this means I needed a bike that could handle significant weight. I considered a trailer but I wanted to train on the bike to get prepared for some tours and didn't want to do so with a trailer attached everyday.

Let me digress to the bicycle test rides. Riding a recumbent is VERY different from riding a traditional bike. You have to start off with a significant push of your foot against the pedal to get the bike going and then raise your other foot to begin pedaling to keep the bike upright. This took some practice with the pedals out front. It was quite frustrating for me initially but I was able to ride albeit rather clumsily. Also, climbing hills was out of the question at first. You have to learn how to balance and keep the bike moving in a straight line first. I am not a coordinated individual so initially thought perhaps this wasn't for me but with persistance was able to ride fairly well. Now after lots of miles on the bike it is easy.

After researching and riding several brands I decided on the Bacchetta Giro 26 which has a steel frame and two 26" wheels. It is a "high tourer". I bought my girlfriend a Giro 20 ATT which has a 20" front wheel and a 26" rear wheel (I will go into more detail on the selection process in another blog).

I love my recumbent! It is so much fun to ride and extremely comfortable. Cars give me more room than ever and although I'm riding at "touring" speed I enjoy all of the sights along the routes much more. No more soreness either! I highly recommend that you try this wonderful type of bicycling; you may become a convert like I did.



1 comment:

  1. Nice going Ken. You may have sparked my interest. Look forward to reading more. Your old bud. SL

    ReplyDelete